In an effort to have more homemade snacks around the house I’ve recently been baking quite a lot of cookies, making popcorn, granola bars and the like. A simple and easy addition to my homemade snacks is trail mixes and this is one of my faves. Only 5 ingredients of delicious candied goodness!
These candied walnuts and cranberries make a lovely and sweet snack to have for many situations, whether it be one with guests or just to nibble on while busy with other tasks. It’s easy to prepare and a simple addition to any table, road trip or movie theatre.
You can use pecans, almonds or a mixture of nuts in the place of walnuts if you desire. I used walnuts because I think they pair wonderfully with cranberries and I wanted to keep this snack simple but feel free to use what you have on hand.
1 1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven on a medium to low heat and prepare a tray with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Once melted, stir in the sugar until dissolved and then stir in the maple syrup.
- Lightly simmer and stir until the caramel sauce begins to bubble and thicken on the top, it will also start to lighten slightly in colour, now you can remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the walnuts until they are very well coated.
- Spread the coated walnuts out onto your baking tray and bake for approximately 7 minutes. Flip/mix the walnuts and bake for another 5 minutes, watching that the mixture doesn’t begin to burn.
- Sit aside to let the walnuts cool and the caramel sauce toffee a little, mix in the dried cranberries and serve in a bowl.
If you decide to try this recipe, I would love to see and hear about your experience so please feel free to tag @lemonthy.me on Instagram or let me know in a comment. I am always open to feedback and questions. Enjoy!