Feel like something for breakfast that is without a doubt easy, speedy and tastes just like churros? French toast is probably your answer… It’s certainly mine!
I’m not so much of a sweet-breakfast kind of girl but if anything could sway me, it’d be this vegan french toast. It ticks all the breakfast boxes in my head including minimal effort and indulgent/delicious outcome. I’m also quite fond of the fact that all the ingredients are nearly always stocked in my cupboard and most likely other peoples too, which means no planning or early morning trips to the grocer.
I added frozen berries, vegan chocolate sauce (yum!), maple syrup and a dusting of icing sugar to the top of my french toast. I was going for a romantic Valentines day vibe but honestly, it would be delicious with any of the following.
- coconut yoghurt
- whipped cream
- cacao nibs
- fresh strawberries
- shaved almonds
- ice cream
- coconut flakes
If you’re after more easy/sweet vegan breakfast recipes, then definitely try my Simple Maple Granola. It’s deeeelish!
If you make this Classic French Toast, share your pics with me on Instagram, just tag me @lemonthy.me so I can see your recreations! Also feel free, as always, to leave any questions, comments or suggestions below.
- 4 slices of bread of choice
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I used almond)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
TO TOP (optional)
- frozen berries
- maple syrup
- chocolate sauce
- icing sugar
- Start by heating the coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the milk to a shallow bowl and, starting with the tapioca flour, whisk in the other ingredients until the mixture becomes light and frothy.
- Place a slice of bread into the mixture and turn over until coated. Gently place in the frying pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden. Repeat with each slice of bread.
- Stack the french toast onto your plate and serve with your toppings of choice. Enjoy!