If you make these cookies, I feel it’s only fair to warn you that if you’re inclined to devour sweet things mercilessly you’ll likely have a hard time controlling yourself. Everything about these sugar cookies is delicious; they have a crunchy outer edge, soft chewy inside and icing that melts in your mouth.
More Delicious Vegan Recipes
Always make sure to read the WHOLE RECIPE before you start to ensure you have all the ingredients and to ask me any questions you have. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk
- 1.5 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plant-based milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cream the vegan butter and sugar in a large bowl and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon until it starts to form a crumbly dough, then you can ditch the utensil for your hands and add your plant-based milk. Knead the dough until it forms a solid ball.
- Next, flour your hands and a clean surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough 1-3 cm thick (bakers choice).
- Use your cookie cutters to firmly push out your cookie shapes and then transfer them to your baking tray.
- Roll the remaining dough into another ball and repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, watching that they don’t burn on the edges as all ovens are different.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating otherwise your icing will melt.
- To prepare your icing: mix the icing sugar, vanilla extract and plant milk in a mixing bowl until you’re happy with the consistency, it should slightly runny with a smooth and shiny finish. Add your food colouring by separating the icing into bowls for different colours if needed and then let them set. Now you can have fun decorating!