The reason I named this smoothie an ‘Energy Smoothie’ is that every time I drink one for breakfast, I am completely satisfied until lunch. This smoothie lifts my mood and energy levels significantly so that I can work all morning without losing focus and feel more accomplished towards the end of the day.
Unlike most green smoothies that are packed with green leafys, this smoothie only has a green colour because it includes spirulina. The bulk of the smoothie itself is banana.
A Little Tip
Always keep a couple of bananas in your freezer! It’s not ideal when you feel like a smoothie and realise that you have no frozen bananas and to be honest, this smoothie is just not the same with an unfrozen banana.
If that doesn’t make me sound like enough of a perfectionist, this will. You have to put your ingredients into the blender in the correct order. Powders and seeds must go into your blender last.
Putting liquid in before any powders or small seeds means that they won’t get stuck to the bottom of the vessel and will instead be evenly distributed throughout your smoothie.
- 1 banana frozen
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 7-10 blocks of ice
- 2 drops of peppermint extract optional
- 1/2 teaspoon maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Peel a ripe banana and pop it into the freezer at least 3 hours before you make your smoothie to allow it to become frozen. Tip: always have a couple of bananas in the freezer so you can make a smoothie whenever you’d like.
- Put your ingredients into a blender in this order: frozen banana, water, ice, peppermint extract, powders, then seeds.
- Blend your smoothie for approximately 4 minutes or until there are no longer any frozen banana chunks and enjoy!