I think these crispy vegan “Potat’O’Lantern” chips are such a cute and fun idea for October and Halloween. You could serve them with all kinds of dips like relish, guacamole, ketchup… YUM! And great for the kids too.
I saw this brilliantly simple and adorable idea on the website of my local grocery store and I had to try them. Even just to see how easy it would be to cut the face shapes out of the potatoes and, of course, share the idea with you. I’m sure you can guess the process for making this Halloween snack but I’ve included a recipe card at the bottom of this post, just in case!
How to make Potat’O’Lanterns
This Halloween snack is so simple and only involves:
1. Slicing some potatoes
2. Tossing them in olive oil, salt and any herbs of your choice
3. Cooking them in an air-fryer or oven until crispy
It took me about 5 minutes to slice 2 small potatoes and cut the lantern shapes out of them. It can be a little difficult at first but doesn’t take long to get the hang of. The sweet potato is slightly more difficult and prone to snapping while cutting the shapes out, so just be patient and you’ll get it.
I also tried cutting the shapes out of some of the potato slices AFTER cooking them to see if that would be easier. It definitely isn’t, so stick to cutting them before you cook them!
Always make sure to read the whole recipe before you start to ensure you have all the ingredients AND to ask me any questions you have. Enjoy!
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Start by preheating your Air-fryer to 180°C or your oven to 200°C and lining a baking sheet if you need to.
- Cut your potatoes into slices about 5mm (half a cm) thick and carefully use the tip of your slicing knife to cut two triangle eyes and the mouth of the potat'o'lanterns out of each slice. The sweet potato can be prone to snapping while you're doing this so be patient.
- Toss them in the olive oil, salt and any herbs of your choice. Then place them in the air-fryer for 15 minutes or into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve these cuties with relish, guacamole or ketchup and enjoy!