I’m so excited about this recipe because I absolutely love pizza, I mean, doesn’t everybody?
Pizza is a weekly meal in our little apartment and that’s the way we like it, however, we’ve been making the same vegan cheese-less pizzas on tortilla wraps for quite a while now and felt it was time to switch things up. Plus sometimes you just crave something that’s more filling and satisfying than a thin tortilla base.
So I did some research and some recipe testing and found a great pizza base recipe that is easy and cooks to be crispy and full of little air pockets – which I love in a pizza base. Next step was vegan cheese… I initially started out using the cheese sauce from my tasty vegan mac & cheese recipe which is perfectly tasty and lovely on a pizza. However, we were looking for something thicker that would hold its shape a little better and that didn’t require the extra step of boiling veggies.
This new vegan pizza base and cashew mozzarella combo is definitely our new weekly pizza night go-to!
How to make pizza dough
After testing a couple of regular pizza dough recipes online using all-purpose wholemeal flour (which is usually my flour of choice) I decided I need to up my game with a quality pizza specific flour. I found a wonderful bread and pizza flour and tested out the recipe on the back of the box and found it was perfect and I had no adjustments to make what-so-ever. You can find the recipe here or you can scroll down where I’ve included the recipe below.
If you can’t find this specific flour brand, you’ll likely be able to find something similar in your local grocery store or health food store as they tend to have more niche products.
How to make cashew mozzarella cheese
Inspired by my tasty vegan mac & cheese recipe, this cashew mozzarella is easy to whip up and creates a thick and tasty vegan cheese perfect for pizza. It uses a common base of over-night soaked cashews and a combination of nutritional yeast, salt and pine nuts for the cheesy flavour. To create the right consistency, I added arrowroot flour (also known as tapioca flour) along with coconut oil and cooked it in a saucepan until it became thick and creamy.
This process, not including soaking the cashews over-night, only takes about 15 minutes in total and I like to do it just before cooking the pizzas so that it’s fresh and melty when put on the pizza. Though you can certainly make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
More delicious vegan recipes
- 1 1/2 cups plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
CASHEW MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to mato sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 small handful of basil leaves
- Measure flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Dissolve the yeast in half the lukewarm water in a separate bowl then stir in the rest of the water.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour the dissolved yeast mixture and oil into the well, gradually mix the flour in from the sides until combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead by hand on a floured surface until it’s smooth and elastic. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover until it doubles in size. Mine took about an hour.
- When you’re ready to start making your pizzas, use the floured surface to cut the dough ball into four equal sections and roll each one into a round base using a floured rolling pin. Set aside while you prepare your toppings.
CASHEW MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- Start by soaking the cashews in enough water to cover them and place in the fridge the night before.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (355°F). Drain and rinse the cashews and place into a food processor or blender along with the other ingredients and blend for approximately 2 minutes depending on your blender or until it’s smooth.
- Place into a small saucepan over low-medium heat and continually stir until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Prepare other pizza toppings of choice (I like to prepare everything including the vegan cheese while the dough is rising and place onto your pizza bases.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes until the edges are sufficiently golden and crispy. Remove, slice up and enjoy!