Make your summer BBQs healthier by offering this veggie skewer option of pineapple and zucchini grilled with a sweet golden bbq glaze.
It’s currently summer here in Australia and a lot of social gatherings around this time of year revolve around a barbeque. It’s always a great time with family and friends, spent outdoors playing, laughing and (most importantly) eating. However, there is typically a disproportionate amount of meat available. So, in an effort to offer more vegan-friendly BBQ options, try these pineapple & zucchini skewers.
- 1 whole pineapple
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 a brown onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Either preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F) if using an oven to cook these.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan over medium heat, chop the onion and garlic and add them to the pan. Once the onion is translucent, turn the heat to low.
- Add the rest of the glaze ingredients into a small bowl and whisk, then add to the frying pan and stir until it starts to simmer. Remove from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Chop the fresh pineapple into small chunks and slice the zucchini, first in half width ways and then into thin slices long ways.
- Arrange your pineapple and zucchini onto the skewers and place them onto a foil lined tray, or, if using a barbeque, onto a sheet of foil with the sides rolled up.
- Blend the cooled sauce mixture in a blender and pour it over the skewers. Add them to the oven for 20 minutes, turning them halfway through. If using a barbeque, add the foil “tray” with the skewers to the grill, regularly turning them until they’re well cooked.