Crispy, salty and full of flavour, these Pumpkin Couscous Fritters are perfect for a quick lunch. They’re vegan, easy, quick to put together and only require 8 simple ingredients.
Somehow, this dish soothes both my comfort food cravings AND my fresh/healthy cravings. By simply jazzing it up with a crispy salad and lemon juice I can make these fritters zesty and refreshing. But if I want cozy vibes, I just have them with a creamy garlic dipping sauce and it does the trick. No matter the weather outside or the mood inside, this recipe is a winner!
More Delicious Vegan Recipes
Always make sure to read the WHOLE RECIPE before you start to ensure you have all the ingredients and to ask me any questions you have. Enjoy!
- 1 cup couscous
- 500 grams pumpkin*
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Chop the pumpkin into roughly 2-cm chunks, cook it in boiling water until soft, drain, mash and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 2.5 tablespoons of water and letting it sit until it becomes gelatinous, then set aside.
- Place the couscous into a mixing bowl with 1 cup of boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the water has completely absorbed. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and lightly fluff with a fork to loosen up the couscous.
- Combine the couscous, pumpkin, grated carrot, flax egg, onion powder, garlic powder and nutritional yeast flakes. Roll into flattened balls.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat, the oil should be about 2.5-cm deep.
- Fry the fritters in the oil for about 6 minutes on each side or until they’re golden and crispy all over.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon, a fresh side salad and enjoy!