This simple Spaghetti + Vegan “Meatball” recipe will give you cozy country vibes, it’s easy to throw together and makes for a tasty family favourite meal!
Spaghetti Bolognese is an important meal for a lot of people, so much so that it’s one of the most commonly missed meals when people go meat-free. I totally understand this as it’s hard to imagine how you’d make the warming, comfy traditional meal for the family without one of its key ingredients.
That’s why I decided to create an easy home-made, plant-based version!
For the meatballs, I used my Walnut Veggie Burger recipe and simply created smaller rounder “meatballs”. I baked them in the oven to create a tough texture, juicy inside and cut out the use of oil. These are wonderful fresh or for left-overs as the texture only improves each day making it a great vegan meal planning option.
It’s a super easy recipe and very versatile, I’ve used it to make:
- Veggie Burgers
- Sausage Rolls
- Party Pies
And I bet you can think of a couple of your favourite meals that you could incorporate this into.
JOIN ME ON INSTAGRAM
Making this recipe? Tag or message me on Instagram @lemonthy.me!
MORE VEGAN FAMILY RECIPES
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small/medium onion
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can lentils
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 250 grams spaghetti pasta of choice
(click here for the full veggie burger recipe)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 small button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan while you roughly chop the onion, carrot, mushroom and garlic. Add them to the pan and cook until lightly translucent and soft.
- In the meantime, place the walnuts, flour, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup and paprika into a food processor. When your veggies are done frying, add them to the food processor and blend the mixture until a “mince” consistency is formed.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture out into balls and place them on the lined baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown and spongy.
- Put your pasta on the stove top to boil. Heat the olive oil in a separate pot on medium and add in your finely chopped garlic and onion until translucent and soft. Now add the Italian seasoning, canned tomatoes and lentils.
- Stir occasionally for 20 minutes or until the water from the canned tomatoes has evaporated. Drain the cooked pasta and serve with the spaghetti sauce and vegan meatballs.