These vegan Dinner Rolls are the perfect side dish for your mains, they’re soft and fluffy with sweet crispy edges. Delicious fresh from the oven and spread with vegan butter.
As with most bread type recipes, there’s a bit of wait time for these dinner rolls to rise and become airy balls of goodness but in my opinion, it’s totally worth it. These would be an impressive and delicious side to serve with something like a soup or stew to dip these babies into and let them soak up the liquid or gravy!
How to make the dough
Through experimenting with pizza dough and other doughs in the last couple of months, I’ve discovered that I really like to make these types of recipes. Whereas I used to avoid making such foods from scratch before, now I actually enjoy the process of mixing, kneading and shaping the dough, not to mention the delicious end result and satisfaction of all that effort.
This Dinner Roll recipe requires a few steps which I’ll outline further in the recipe card below but put simply, you just:
- Make the yeast mixture
- Add the wet ingredients, then the dry and mix into a dough ball
- Cover and leave to rise for an hour
- Cut, shape and leave to rise again for 30 minutes
- Brush the rolls with a wash and bake for 25 minutes
Sweet + Soft Vegan Dinner Rolls
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/4 cup water lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 3 cups plain white flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted for greasing
- Start by placing the instant dry yeast and sugar in the bottom of a large mixing bowl, lightly mix in the lukewarm water and leave for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens and looks a little foamy.
- Add and lightly mix in the melted butter and plant-based milk, then add the flour and salt. Use a spoon to continually stir the mixture in one large circle until it comes together into a dough ball that doesn’t stick to the edges of the bowl.
- Add a little bit of loose flour under the dough ball, cover the bowl and leave it in a warm place for roughly an hour to rise almost double its size.
- Next, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten slightly so that you can easily cut it into 9 equal parts and roll each into a small ball.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan with melted vegan butter and place the shaped dough balls into it, cover and leave in a warm place again, this time for 30 minutes. They should rise and fill in the space around them a little better (see photos above).
- Preheat your oven to 250°C and use an oil brush to lightly wash some melted vegan butter over the rolls. Bake them for roughly 25 minutes or until they are golden on top. Enjoy them warm as a side dish to soup or stew!