After becoming vegan, Mac ‘n’ Cheese was one of the very first meals I tried to make from scratch. I searched for a good recipe on the internet and tried a couple of them. Until I found one that created a macaroni dish that was very basic but had the general texture and base flavours that I was interested in. Over the years I’ve adapted and improved it to the point that I’m very happy with it. We now enjoy this meal regularly and I hope you will too.
Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
This recipe is for a simple but very tasty Vegan Mac and Cheese using macaroni and a thick ‘n’ creamy cheese sauce to form a savoury, sticky, salty and satisfying pasta dish. The cheese sauce calls for 9 ingredients including;
- brown onion
- soaked cashews
- coconut cream
- nutritional yeast flakes
- sweet paprika
It’s important to note that you should soak your cashews before you make this Vegan Mac and Cheese. Just place them into a bowl and cover with hot water for at least 1 hours. Once they’re finished soaking you can drain them and they’ll be good to go.
The recipe itself is very simple. While your pasta is cooking, all you have to do is boil the potato, onion and carrot, then place this into a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend it into a thick ‘cheese’ sauce*. Pour this over your drained and rinsed pasta and serve with a sprinkle of paprika, salt and parsley.
*Side note: I like my sauce to be thick and a little bit chunky but if you want a ‘cheese’ sauce that is smooth and velvety, just blend it for longer.
More Delicious Vegan Recipes
Always make sure to read the WHOLE RECIPE before you start to ensure you have all the ingredients and to ask me any questions you have. Enjoy!
- 250 gr Macaroni pasta
- 1 medium white potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 cup soaked cashew nuts
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- At least 2 hours before making your Mac and Cheese, soak the cashews in warm to hot water.
- Put 2 medium sized pots of water on high heat to boil. Put your macaroni pasta into one of them to cook while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Roughly chop the potato, carrot and onion and put these into the other pot of boiling water to soften.
- In the meantime place the drained and rinsed cashew nuts, coconut cream, nutritional yeast flakes, paprika, turmeric and salt into a food processor.
- When you can easily stick a fork through the potato, carrot and onion, drain and add to the food processor. Blend to form your cheese sauce and stop when you’re happy with the texture. If you’d like it to be runnier just blend in some plant-based milk.
- Once the pasta is also cooked, drained and rinsed, you can add the cheese sauce and serve hot.