This delicious Toasted Breakfast Sandwich tastes to me like an English egg muffin and brings me back to being a kid and going to garage sales with my family. We’d always stop and indulge in some English breakfast muffins and hot chocolates while on our Saturday morning bargain hunt.
Only this one is significantly healthier and, of course, vegan. It includes avocado which takes the place of cheese and marinated tofu which tastes the place of a fried egg. You could also add a small dollop of ketchup and use an actual English muffin if you’d like. However, I opted for bread as I wanted to keep this as a sandwich.
To create the egg-style tofu, we’re going to start by marinating it the night before. Simply slice the firm tofu into thin slices about 1cm thick and place them into a container. Then whisk together the marinade ingredients and pour that over the top of the tofu, making sure it’s covered. Place this in the fridge overnight to become juicy and flavourful.
The next morning, or when you’re ready to prepare your breakfast sandwich, remove the tofu from the container and add to a lightly oiled frying pan with about 3 tablespoons of the marinade liquid. Fry this up until it’s golden and sticky on the outside. Now assemble the sandwich and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, share your pics with me on Instagram, just tag me @lemonthy.me, I love to see your recreations! Also feel free, as always, to leave any questions, comments or suggestions below.
- 3 1cm slices of firm tofu
- 2 slices of bread or an English muffin
- 1 small handful of baby rocket
- 4 slices of tomato
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of thick soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- The night before, slice the firm tofu into 3 1cm slices and place into a container. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients and pour over the tofu, making sure it’s covered. Place this in the fridge overnight.
- When you’re ready to make your breakfast sandwich, remove the tofu and place it on a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade liquid and fry until golden and sticky.
- Prepare the rest of the sandwich fillings by thinly slicing the tomato and avocado, and lightly toasting the slices of bread.
- Now assemble the fillings on the sandwich and top with the fried tofu and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cut in half and enjoy!