This Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad is creamy, filling, a little spicy and very satisfying!
When I was a teenager I was a little obsessed with cold tuna salad with thousand island dressing, I would have it on sandwiches, crackers, wraps and sometimes even just by itself… #GrubAlert!
I remember it having such a distinct flavour and texture that I thought I wouldn’t be able to have anything similar once I became a vegan. I missed the taste quite a bit but eventually just moved on, until I heard of chickpea “tuna”. I’ve tried a couple of other recipes in the past but found that the taste wasn’t quite right or it was simply far too dry, so I just created my own.
This recipe is perfectly moist, tasty and filling… Give it a try and see what you think!
This recipe is very saucy and creamy with a slightly spicy tang and extras for added flavour and crunch.
Crushed chickpeas make up the “tuna” style texture, add protein and make this salad satisfying and filling. Vegan Mayo, hot mustard and spices give it loads of flavour and make the salad super creamy and soft. Pickled sweet gherkins and celery add a little crunch and some extra sweetness.
Finally, if you make this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @lemonthy.me, I love to see your recreations! Also feel free, as always, to leave any questions, comments or suggestions below.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon hot mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 pickled sweet gherkins
- 1 stick celery
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the can of chickpeas until they no longer have any bubbles on them (this makes them easier to digest).
- Add the chickpeas, vegan mayo, mustard, ketchup, paprika and salt into a food processor and blend until everything is combined but stopping before the chickpeas become completely blended. You still want small chickpea chunks to create the “tuna” texture.
- Chop the gherkins and celery in half long ways and then into small slices.
- Mix the chickpea mixture with the gherkins and celery in a bowl or storage container.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve on a sandwich, a wrap, a fresh salad or as a dip with crackers. Enjoy!