These vegan sweet potato fritters are deliciously golden and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They’re easy to make either using an air fryer, baked in the oven or fried in oil and make an awesome meal prep or lunch box option!
These are one of my go-to quick and easy lunch ideas on an average day. I’m a real sucker for fried food and sweet potato so this is very much a guilty pleasure for me. These sweet potato fritters are perfect for meal prepping as they keep in the fridge well and their size makes them great for the kids (or your own) lunch box with a little container of relish and some greens!
Sweet potato fritters with an air fryer
Because I’m slightly (very) obsessed with fried food, I decided it would be a good idea to get myself an air fryer. I had heard that they’re great for creating a similar effect but of course using far less oil, which is genius. So far, I’m in love with it and have discovered that I can use it for many different types of food.
I’ll give instructions on how to make these sweet potato fritters using both an air fryer and the traditional method of frying them in oil in the recipe card below. But for now, here’s how to cook them in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer for a couple of minutes at 180°C.
- Carefully place your formed fritters into the bottom of the basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes, checking their progress at 10 minutes and flipping if required.
- When they’re golden and crispy, carefully remove them and serve hot!
More vegan family recipes
Vegan Sweet Potato Fritters
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 brown onion
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Grate the sweet potatoes and onion (I use a food processor with a grating attachment) and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add and stir in the salt and olive oil. Then the chickpea flour until thick and well combined.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of the mixture, use your hands to form a ball and flatten slightly into a pattie shape. Continue with the rest of the mixture and place the fritters on a plate.
AIR FRYER METHOD
- Preheat the air fryer on 180°C for a couple of minutes, then gently place each fitter into the bottom of the basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes, checking their progress at 10 minutes and flipping them if required. Remove when they’re golden and crispy and serve hot!
STOVE TOP METHOD
- On medium, heat enough oil in a frying pan to be about 1/2 an inch deep. Gently place fritters into the frying pan.
- Let them fry for 15 minutes, gently flipping them at about 10 minutes. Remove when they’re golden and crispy, set them on a paper towel or napkin to soak up excess oil and serve hot!